Fighting to WIN
Do and Don’ts of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Being involved in a motor vehicle accident can be both scary and uncharted territory for a lot of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. We’ve put together a checklist of important tasks that should be done after a motor vehicle accident:
- Get the name and address of all the owners and drivers involved
- Take down the license plate details of the other owners and drivers
- Get the names and policy numbers of all the other drivers’ insurance
- Get the names and phone numbers of all witnesses
- Make notes about how the accident happened
- Take photos of the scene, your vehicle and your injuries
- Inform the police, your insurance company, and your employer or school
- Contact Grosso Hooper Law for a free initial consult to make sure you know your rights
- Ignore signs of injury or pain, such as dizziness or a stiff neck from whiplash – see your family doctor immediately
- Admit fault for the accident
- Avoid talking with your insurance company or signing anything before contacting GH Law
Timing is important. There are certain actions you must take, and at the right time, in order to get the benefits and compensation you need, such as:
- Inform your accident benefits insurer of accident within 7 days
- Complete the accident benefits application within 30 days
- Inform at-fault driver within 120 days, in writing, of intent to sue
- Sue at-fault driver within two years of accident
Disclaimer: None of the information provided in this website is, or is intended to be legal advice. We cannot advise you or take any steps on your behalf without learning about your particular circumstances. Please contact us directly to obtain legal advice.
Our Team of Experts
Mary Grosso, B.A., LL.B.
Kimberly Jossul, B.Sc. (Hons), LL.B.
Jessica Radersma, B.A. (Hons), J.D.
Robert Hooper, B.A., LL.B.
We will contact you within 1 business day. All your information will be kept strictly confidential and only used to brief us on your situation before we call you.
Our offices are centrally located in downtown Hamilton, comfortable, wheelchair friendly and with free parking. If you cannot make it to our office, we will come to your home, hospital or any other location that is convenient for you.