Frequently Asked Questions

You should hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. In some cases, you must send a notice letter within a few days of the accident or you may lose your right to sue (see time limitations). Evidence may be lost or forgotten and witnesses may move away or forget what they saw, so the sooner you hire a lawyer, the stronger your case is likely to be.

We can also help you deal with your insurance company, and can inform you of benefits your insurance company may not discuss with you. If you are in hospital or unable to leave your home, a Grosso Hooper Law team member will come to you.

Our team are experienced personal injury lawyers who have successfully won compensation for hundreds of clients. Our personal, caring approach will help you through the legal process and make sure you are informed every step of the way. I have an excellent reputation as a trial lawyer and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.

In most cases, fees will be charged on a contingency basis. In other words, there is no charge until you receive compensation. The fee is normally a percentage of your final settlement.

The fee arrangement is set early on in the process and does not change, no matter how many calls and meetings take place – so please feel free to call me and ask any questions you have about your case. You may be asked to contribute to your disbursements.

My initial consultation with you is absolutely free.

Before I can answer this question, I will need to meet with you and learn the specific facts of your case. Please call me for a free, no-commitment initial consultation or fill out the on-line interview form.

Each case is different, and the amount of compensation you could be entitled to depends on your type of injury and impairments you suffer and for how long. I may be able to give you a range once I review your information and become familiar with your case, but predicting a specific number is almost impossible. 

If your case is going to be settled before trial, I will at some point be recommending a figure you can accept in settlement. You will decide whether or not to accept and provide me with your instructions.

This depends on who you are suing and the nature of your case. Most motor vehicle accidents (car crashes) take two to four years. Slip and fall cases take a similar amount of time. I can give you a better idea of how long it will take to settle your case once I know the specific facts.

Probably not. Around 90 per cent of personal injury cases are settled before trial. Most are resolved through mediation. I am an experienced trial lawyer, so if your case does go to trial I will be able to get you the best possible result.

At the initial interview, I will aim to find out as much as possible about your case so I can give you be the best advice available. This includes asking you about your:

  • Work history
  • Family history
  • General background
  • Previous medical conditions

The on-line interview has examples of other information I may need from you.

Please bring all the notes and documents you have to the interview – for example, expense receipts and police, insurance and medical reports. Write down the details of the incident and your injuries, in as much detail as you can. All your information will be kept strictly confidential.

Yes. If you are in an automobile crash there are several forms that need to be completed before accident benefits can be paid. I can help you with those forms at your free initial consultation.

If your insurance company wants you to talk to an adjuster, you should be aware that anything you say will go on file and could affect your future claims. Do not speak to the adjuster if you are in hospital or otherwise medically unable to do so.

Get legal advice and know your rights before you talk to the adjuster. I will be able to tell you which benefits you are entitled to and help you get those benefits. I can also represent you if you meet with the adjuster, so the answers you give will strengthen your case instead of being used against you.

It is in the insurance company’s interest to tell you not to hire a lawyer, because it means you are not fully informed about your rights and they can potentially pay you less. I will make sure you are receiving your full entitlement of benefits from your insurance company, and will also help you sue the person responsible if you have been injured in an accident.

Contact me as soon as possible. I will be able to find out what benefits and compensation you are entitled to, and will fight to get them for you.

As of October 1, 2003, the insurance company cannot legally increase your premiums if you make an accident benefit claim and you are not at fault (if you are at fault, your premiums may increase).

If you are in any doubt, please contact me and I will be able to deal with your insurer on your behalf.

I will be able to advise you on the different options available to you, such as income replacement benefits and caregiver benefits. I will negotiate with your insurance company to get you the best possible coverage for your particular needs.

Your claim should be pursued either through your insurance company or through the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB). Contact me to find out which option is the best for you.

No. I am a Victims’ Rights Advocate, so I am completely dedicated to helping victims. I'm here to fight for you.  I never represent insurance companies. 

No. If your injuries include a serious and permanent impairment of an important physical, mental or psychological function, you may be able to sue the other driver. Please contact me for a free, no-obligation initial consultation and to find out more.

‘No fault’ refers to the benefits included in your insurance. They apply to anyone injured in an accident and are part of every car insurance policy in Ontario. If you have been injured, even if you are at fault, you may be entitled to Statutory Accident Benefits (see motor vehicle accidents). I will be able to help you through the application process and protect your rights.

No. If you were knowingly driving without insurance, you cannot sue the at-fault driver. However, you can still claim certain Statutory Accident Benefits.

If a person is incapacitated because of their injuries (in a coma, for example) and is unable to make decisions, someone else can be appointed by the Court to make decisions on their behalf.


  • Get the name and address of all the owners and drivers involved
  • Take down the license plate details of the other owners and drivers
  • Get the name and policy number of the other driver’s insurance, if an out-of-province vehicle is involved
  • Get names and phone numbers of all witnesses
  • Make notes about how the accident happened
  • Take photos of the scene, your car and your injuries
  • Inform the police, your insurance company, and your employer or school
  • Contact me to make sure you know your rights


  • Admit fault for the accident
  • Talk to the insurance company or sign anything before contacting me
  • Ignore signs of injury or pain – see your family doctor immediately


Please note: The above information is for general reference only and is not intended to replace legal counsel.

Holding a Mobile Phone


For a free, no commitment initial consultation, please call our fight for you help-line at 905-522-8002.

View More


Don’t wait to contact us. Time is important following an accident or incident.

View More
Smiling lady


Fighting to get the results our clients deserve is our profession, and the motivation that drives every case.

View More


Are you entitled to compensation?

View More
© Copyright 2019 Grosso Hooper Law. All Rights Reserved